Help with School Uniform Costs


School uniform is a big expense so here are a couple of tips and links to see if help is out there.

With UK families spending around £52 million each year on new items it’s no wonder you may be feeling the crunch.

Help with the cost of buying uniforms

Grants used to be available but upon searching we believe many councils have stopped this but it’s still worth you checking – please do follow this link to see if you can claim.

You may be able to get help with school uniform costs.

It is each school that will decide its uniform and they must not discriminate based on sex, race, disability, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, religion or belief.

Remember the head teacher can discipline your child for not wearing the school uniform. Your child can be suspended or expelled if they repeatedly ignore the uniform rules.

Talk to the head teacher if your child isn’t wearing the uniform, because you can’t afford it.

If you’re on a low income, you might be able to get help with some of the costs of sending your child to school, including school meals, transport and uniform.

If you get benefits such as tax credits or Employment and Support Allowance. If you’re not sure,  ask staff at your local education authority (LEA).

Your LEA is the local council that deals with education in your area – you can find your LEA on GOV.UK.

Free school meals

You can apply for free school lunches if you get any of these benefits:

  • Child Tax Credit – but you can’t apply for free meals if you’re also entitled to Working Tax Credit and your yearly income is £16,190 or more before tax
  • Working Tax Credit run-on – you might get this for 4 weeks if you’re no longer eligible for Working Tax Credit
  • Universal Credit if you started your claim before 1 April 2018 or you earn less than £7,400 a year net (not including benefits)
  • Income Support
  • income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
  • income-related Employment and Support Allowance
  • Guarantee Credit (part of Pension Credit)

Apply for free school meals from your local education authority (LEA). You can find your LEA on GOV.UK.

We hope this helps…..

Grown Out Of It

No Comments found for this post !

Leave a comment